WHAT yOU DO:
Keep the 5-gallon bucket (that we provide!) near your kitchen. Add your veggie scraps, egg shells, coffee grounds, spoiled fruit and other compostables! When it's time to swap out the bucket, leave it by your back door, front stoop, or alley, and we'll collect it and leave you a fresh one. Your food scraps head to one of several local Chicago farms who perform the actual composting!
For every 10 buckets of scraps collected, members can choose from one of three rewards: 2lbs of finished worm castings for gardening; a $5 coupon to use for Urban Canopy farm produce at local farmers markets; a $5 gift to a local restaurant that uses composting; or, Compost Club members can donate their reward back to the Urban Canopy efforts.
WHAT WE DO:
We provide you with a bucket and lid, and use your food scraps back at the farm. We use worms to digest your food scraps (through vermi-composting) to generate healthy soil and nutrients to grow more local food.
Compost Club is a crucial part of the Urban Canopy's mission to prove that Urban Agricultural and local food work can be a healthy, self-sustaining, business endeavor.
If you'd like more information, please email email@example.com. We also have a few quick reference documents you can download and read here:
- Compost Club overview and pricing
- Tips for maintaining a healthy bucket
- What can go in the bucket?
- FAQ & policies for Compost Club
I'D LIKE TO COMPOST
Are you ready to join Compost Club? Click the button below and fill out the form for at-home pickups. It will give us all the info we need to get you started.
We will contact you around the 20th of the month with details on your initiation day the following month.
As of 10am 7/23/17, we are currently accepting members for August 2017! - Eric
If you wish to inquire about the service please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 872-444-6764 with any questions.
Are you looking for somewhere to drop your bucket off? Visit us at our Farmers Markets where you can get your first bucket and drop it off when it gets full -- $5 dollars for your first bucket and $5 per swap. Check out our Farmers Market page for more info on market schedules, locations and to see if bucket swaps are available or only bucket drop offs. Please note that if you bring your own bucket or container, it must hermetically seal and you will likely not see the container again.
At the moment, we do not accept drop offs at our farm.
COMPOSTING AT EVENTS
Do you have an upcoming event that you would like to make a zero-waste event? Here is how we can help:
- We supply, deliver, and set up large containers the day of, or within 1-2 days of, your event. These containers look like standard, large trash bins and are equipped with compostable liners.
- Compostable/non compostable items will be labeled on laminated signs and attached to the lids of the containers, making it obvious to guests how to distribute waste.
- When the event has concluded, we pick up the containers and compost the organic waste at our own farm sites or deliver it to one of our partner farms on the South Side of Chicago.
- We can also facilitate buying compostable utensils and other common party supplies.
If you’d like more information or would like to sign up for this service, please fill out the form below and we will be in contact with you soon! Note: prices will vary based on the size and location of your event.
We also have a few quick reference documents that you can download and read here: